Traditional approaches to strategy sessions often miss out on valuable voices in the room. There is a tendency for these sessions to be skewed towards those who can speak the loudest or for decisions to be made based on the perspectives of those who hold the power in the team.
The Six Lenses Strategy is a powerful tool to design for change. When we intentionally use our sense-making, perception and empathy, we can:
• dream and envision what is possible,
• decide on strategies that are inclusive and equitable,
• come up with ways to restore relationships and connections,
• think of what can benefit future generations,
• harvest the gems and strengths from our past experiences, and
• weave all these together in a comprehensive whole.
This tool is about flexing our ability to look at issues, activities and social happenings around us using different lenses. This Six Lenses Strategy can help us define what products, services or programs we can design and decide on what will be beneficial for all. It help us to come up with strategies that will deliver change.
Here are the 6 Lenses:
THE DREAMER LOOKS AT POSSIBILITIES; ENVISIONS AND EXPLORES THE MOONSHOT.
• What can we make into reality?
• What is the dream we are holding?
• What is the "end in mind"?
• How might we explore what is possible?
THE FUTURIST TAKES THE FATE OF FUTURE GENERATIONS TO HEART.
• Is this stealing from or securing wellbeing for future generations?
• What legacy did it leave behind?
• What will the future 7th generation say?
• How might future generations benefit from this?
THE ACTIVIST WORKS ON INVITING DIVERSITY, INCLUSION, EQUITY AND JUSTICE.
• Whose voice do we still need to hear from?
• What needs to change?
• Who do we need to invite?
• how is this fair for all, including our planet?
• How might we make it equitable?
THE HEALER IS THE RESTORER OF RELATIONSHIPS, NOT ONLY TO ONESELF OR TO OTHERS BUT ALSO TO THE WORLD.
• Who and what needs care?
• What needs to be celebrated, and acknowledged?
• Who or what needs mending? needs forgiveness?
• Who do we need to connect?
• How might we restore and revitalize connections?
THE ELDER BRINGS THE WISDOM, STORIES, STRENGTHS AND GIFTS OF THE PAST.